Gardener's Delight

Lamb's Ears are among the most beautiful weeds in the world. Once seeded, they tend to pop up everywhere. This blog will be something like that--a variety of things popping up:
Animals, flowers, landscaping, trees, shrubs, anything from the tremendous variety of nature.

We may review a few books and products.

Sunday, August 26, 2007

An Odd Thing Happened

There is a stone row intersecting our property. Hornets like to nest there among the rocks. One morning I went out to tend the garden and noticed a swarm of angry hornets. I saw a newly dug hole where the bees had had their nest. I thought that someone had removed a large rock from the wall. I couldn't get near to inspect it but, when I could, there was a network of "combs" not unlike the honeycombs of honey bees. I researched for a good while and then learned that skunks, raccoons, bears, coyotes, and foxes will dig up the hornet's nest and eat the "combs", essentially a bouilliabase of hornet eggs. I still wonder how it happens. The bees swarming around, angry.

No comments: