Gardener's Delight

Lamb's Ears are among the most beautiful weeds in the world. Once seeded, they tend to pop up everywhere. This blog will be something like that--a variety of things popping up:
Animals, flowers, landscaping, trees, shrubs, anything from the tremendous variety of nature.

We may review a few books and products.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Tomatoes: So Easy to Grow




So many times I've wondered why people don't take the time to grow a few easy things like tomatoes, or hot peppers, or anything. You can grow tomatoes in containers if you live in the big city. You can grow herbs in a window box. I guess people would rather go to the supermarket and buy inorganic ones thinking maybe that'll raise the kid's scores on the SAT.

But even less do I understand people who move to the country and don't grow anything. I wonder if the garden shows are to blame. Maybe those HGTV types in OSHKOSH overalls and designer sunhats are just too perfect and fussy and make it all appear to be such a drag.

I plant a little garden every year, not a big deal garden, but just enough to share the food with a few family members and the deer. If I didn't plant a little extra for the deer, they'd take all of it. As it is now, we share. And I grow regular tomatoes, too. The pictures were taken when the tomatoes were green. They're mostly ripe now, except for a few.

No comments: