Gardener's Delight

Lamb's Ears are among the most beautiful weeds in the world. Once seeded, they tend to pop up everywhere. This blog will be something like that--a variety of things popping up:
Animals, flowers, landscaping, trees, shrubs, anything from the tremendous variety of nature.

We may review a few books and products.

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Winter Walk

<
You need a dog to get you to go out when the weather's rough. I went out this a.m. for a little hike with our dog pulling me along. He's pretty good for a dog, but headstrong, and we have different tastes. I like to look at things like Winterberry and Bittersweet. The dog likes to sniff out whatever invisible things passed through there before.

I once tried transplanting some winterberry that I'd extracted from a swamp. It didn't work. Bittersweet's much easier but it becomes a pest and can strangle a tree....or a person if you stand there long enough. You've got to keep cutting them back.

The Road was clear when I started out but it started snowing about an hour later, and kept knowing, and kept snowing. It turned to sleet later on. a href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEg0jQ5VB7IiKI3b_OUwrF6yGqceR9hZQE9OO_-aA8WltmFPKOq2F0hTstv-jRqCJxbdWAim7EpVBOqfLgk-EbROli6j5-XmX5q94HzB52YTbOVphsCN5Ae8uBgoKxcoco1t1at2L8xAnAI/s1600-h/Photo0061.jpg">a>

The snow was blasting for quite awhile. Everything was still and quiet. I didn't pass one car when I hit the highway. I cut back into the woods; unfortunately, I didn't have my boots and kept sliding around when I had to do some climbing. By the time the snow started to pile up I was only a mile from home. I laughed to myself, thinking about those old Jack London novels.

But there up ahead, I saw our mailbox. Or somebody else's.

No comments: