Gardener's Delight

Lamb's Ears are among the most beautiful weeds in the world. Once seeded, they tend to pop up everywhere. This blog will be something like that--a variety of things popping up:
Animals, flowers, landscaping, trees, shrubs, anything from the tremendous variety of nature.

We may review a few books and products.

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Montmorency Cherry Finally Yields Fruit

I planted a Montmorency Cherry tree in the back yard about 4 years ago, and located another cherry tree nearby as a cross-pollinator. The Montmorency Cherry fruited right away but, until this year, I could count the number of cherries with the fingers of one hand.

The good news is that there were quite a lot of cherries on the tree this year. The bad news was that about half of them were afflicted with a fungus. Stupid me!....I hadn't thought to examine the tree when the fungus was beginning to form so it was well on the way when I discovered it.

The Montmorency is the best cherry for cherry pie. It's a bit tart, a bit sour, but that's a matter of degree. The cherries I ate were delicious (except for the fungal ones)and I am currently researching in order to identify the fungus and the right kind of fungus control.

Let me know if you have knowledge of cherry funguses... I'll let you know what I've discovered when I find the right fix...