Gardener's Delight

Lamb's Ears are among the most beautiful weeds in the world. Once seeded, they tend to pop up everywhere. This blog will be something like that--a variety of things popping up:
Animals, flowers, landscaping, trees, shrubs, anything from the tremendous variety of nature.

We may review a few books and products.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

New Use for Ryobi 2-Stroke Garden Tiller

A while back I published a review about a light Ryobi 2-Stroke Garden Tiller. I bought the thing in the Spring of 2009 and have used it more than I thought I would. It's been great for our small garden. If you're producing vegetables for more than your own use, you'd want a heavier one, or one that fits on your tractor. I could get one that fits my old John Deere 445 but they're expensive, and besides I've have to add a 3 point hitch.

On the other hand, I discovered a new use for the Ryobi Tiller. We have a large lawn but we also have a 3 - acre wooded area--very nice except for the trees which were too close to the house. I've taken down some of those trees with my chain saw, and cleared the stubs with a rented stump grinder. So I thought I'd expand the law a bit on one side of the house.

Step One: I used the John Deere 445 tractor with a 40 Loader (the one that fits the 445) and chisel plowed the weeds and debris. Underneath was some soil and lots of small rocks upon which I was to plant grass.

Step Two: That's where the Ryobi Tiller came in handy. You don't want to throw grass seed on hard-packed soild because it would wash away with the rains. So I took the Tiller and scoured the ground surface to a depth of one or two inches--perfect for sowing the seeds. I raked a little dirt over the seeds and then I dragged a roller over the area.

We had some much needed rain. That helped. The grass has come up beautifully. There are some bare patches where I was stingy with the grass seed, but I'll go over them when the grass comes up if necessary. On the whole, it's looking good.

A pretty good job for the Ryobi Tiller--I thought I'd mention it if it never occurred to you.

No comments: