Gardener's Delight

Lamb's Ears are among the most beautiful weeds in the world. Once seeded, they tend to pop up everywhere. This blog will be something like that--a variety of things popping up:
Animals, flowers, landscaping, trees, shrubs, anything from the tremendous variety of nature.

We may review a few books and products.

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Viticulture Gods Order Me to Plant Concord Grapevines

Okay, so here we are in our Northern Climate home.  It's perhaps ten degrees colder in winter from our Pennsylvania homestead (former).  So I researched grapevines and learned that I could plant Concord, Catawba, and Niagra. 

If I were more adventurous, I could plant one or more of the species that are being developed in Minnesota -- a place even colder than upstate New York.   Unfortunately, I could not easily find the new species and will continue my research into those for next year. 

But the Catawba vines I planted . . . uh. . . didn't quite make it.  In the especially cold Feb of 2014, the temp went down to minus 15-16 for about three weeks with little break.  That killed a few of our other plants, too, including a cultivated Dogwood tree. 

Anyway, grapes.  I listened to the gods and filled in the dead plants with new Concord Grapes.  They're pretty tasty but I don't think they're top notch for wine-making unless one likes sweet wines.

So I'm on the fence.  I guess the best thing about my grape season is that I built a fine grapevine with cedar poles and vinyl covered cord.  It's quite pretty, about 7 feet high, and the vines are healthy although it has seemed like a century as I wait for the one year old vines to reach the top level.

Meanwhile, I'm indebted to YouTube for the posted videos describing various pruning techniques.

No comments: